Azureus on Linux

Since I'm more of a command line person, the first thing I did after I installed Linux was setting about to installing the bittorrent client. It actually worked quite well, I got decent download speeds on most of my torrents. However, I still haven't been able to rival the speed of which Azureus downloads my torrents. I don't know, it somehow gets faster connections with peers. Unfortunately, Azureus took some work.

  • Originally, I couldn't get Azureus to download anything. I figured this was due to a configuration problem, as this same machine dual-boots, and Azureus on Mac OS X never had a problem. Eventually I solved it by writing down the port numbers Azureus on OS X used, and plugged them into Azureus on Linux. Incoming TCP and UDP ports both set to 34226.
  • It took me quite a while to figure out why Azureus gladly downloaded updates, but after restarting, failed to update. I finally figured out that this was due to directory permissions (naturally). The solution to this one is to avoid using the package manager to install Azureus in the first place. Download it from azureus.sourceforge.net, install it in your home folder or something, and Azureus will not update itself.
Once that was out of the way, Azureus once again became my favorite bittorrent client. It's a shame that there's no command line version though.

0 comments:


 

Copyright (c) 2007-2008 by John Altenmueller