On being a moderator

I've been participating in the forums at DaniWeb for the past couple of years now. Helping people fix their computers, giving tips to programming students claiming their assignments are urgent and due within the next two or three hours. I've seen it all, from members flaming until they must have smoke pouring out of their ears, and members who are almost in tears because they can't get something to work.

What I find interesting about forums is how they work. Numerous individuals will contribute to forums, posting for the sole purpose of helping other people. I'm one of those people. I don't know what it is. So many people ask their questions rudely, ignore rules and readmes posted liberally around the forums, yet I take pleasure in helping them out. And somehow, tons of other members do, too.

When I was recently offered a moderator position at DaniWeb, I expected this enjoyment to dissolve. Despite what the younger, inexperienced members think, becoming a moderator isn't exactly a promotion. Some see it as gaining power; I see it as being given the keys to a building and being told, "Here, clean up all the crap that people leave behind in there." And that's pretty darn nearly what I'm doing now that I'm a moderator. Cleaning up after members.

And yet, I enjoy it. Just one of life's smaller mysteries, I suppose.

0 comments:


 

Copyright (c) 2007-2008 by John Altenmueller